Emergency Dentistry in Richmond, TX
Dr. William Sung, Emergency Dentist
Dental emergencies can be scary – and they can happen at any time. We believe you should never wait in pain; and our dedicated staff is always on-hand to guide you through an unpleasant dental scare as quickly and painlessly as possible. If you are suffering from a toothache, abscess, or any other kind of mouth pain, you can trust in Grand Mission Dentistry. If you are in need of immediate medical attention or are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 911.
What To Do
In a Dental Emergency
It’s not always easy to know for sure if your tooth or mouth pain requires emergency dental repair, but some problems can lead to life-threatening infections or rapid decay if not treated immediately. Here are some examples of common dental emergencies:
- Broken or fractured tooth
- Swallowed tooth
- Lost crown or filling
- Broken braces
- Possible abscess or toothache
- Knocked out tooth
The Importance of Immediate Care
For a Dental Emergency?
- Get relief from pain and discomfort – The pain of an oral injury or a toothache can be debilitating and it can interfere with your ability to work, relax, and enjoy your day-to-day life. Professional care will restore your tooth and give you relief from pain and discomfort. The faster you get care, the faster you can get your life back to normal.
- Save your natural tooth – In some situations, immediate care is required to save your tooth. A knocked-out tooth, for example, must be replaced within 1-2 hours, or the root will begin to die and it won’t be able to be re-implanted into the socket.
- Prevent additional complications – Even a minor problem like a pulled-out filling or crown can cause complications if you do not get treatment right away. If you lose a filling, the unprotected, vulnerable area of your tooth will be exposed to oral bacteria and acid, which could result in further tooth decay or a tooth infection. Immediate care will ensure that this does not happen.
A Serious Toothache Counts
As a Dental Emergency
A serious toothache is your body’s way of telling you that something is wrong. The most likely reason for a toothache is that your enamel has been damaged by decay or an injury, and the interior “pulp” of your tooth has been exposed to bacteria.
If you do not get proper treatment for an infected tooth, it will die and fall out, requiring you to replace it with a denture, dental bridge, or implant. It is always best to save your natural tooth, so you should get help for a toothache as soon as you can, particularly if it persists for more than a day or two.
What Should I Do
If My Tooth Is Knocked Out?
- First, recover the tooth and rinse it with warm water, then replace it in the socket. If this isn’t possible, put it in a baggie or container of cold milk.
- Contact Grand Mission Dentistry right away. In most cases, we must begin the procedure within 1-2 hours of your tooth being knocked out in order to successfully re-implant your tooth.
- Take steps to minimize pain, discomfort, and bleeding. Gauze or cotton balls can be used to absorb blood, which should mostly stop flowing within an hour.
- You can take an over-the-counter medicine like Advil (naproxen) or Tylenol (acetaminophen) for pain relief, and place a cold compress or ice pack on your cheek to help with pain and swelling.
When in Doubt,
Call Grand Mission Dentistry
Follow these simple guidelines to help get you out of pain fast:
Dental emergencies affect millions of Americans each year, and the vast majority of them are easily treatable! With proper care, you can be in and out of your dentist’s chair in a flash.
Get out of pain
It’s no surprise that a dental injury is going to cause some pain and discomfort. Before you get to the dentist, taking an over-the-counter painkiller such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can work wonders to reduce swelling and dull painful symptoms while you wait for more permanent treatment.
See your dentist immediately
No one knows better how to treat your dental emergency than your dentist. At Grand Mission Dentistry, we will do everything in our power to assess your injury or ailment quickly and get you the fast, gentle treatment you need. Our experienced staff will do our best to offer you same-day treatment and get you back into fighting shape. Call our office at 281-789-8836 and get out of pain – now!
"My experience with Dr. William Sung was very comforting, and everyone was so nice and helpful. Erica and Dr. Sung took care of me and were very patient with me. I would recommend this dental office to anyone!"
"Had the best experience with Dr. Sung. First impressions were awesome, and the staff was welcoming and attentive. Would definitely come back here!"
"Dr. Sung is awesome! So nice and did a great job! I’ll definitely be back!"
"Had 2 of my wisdom teeth extracted and my cleaning done by Dr. Sung. He was extremely patient and his assistant was super nice and helpful. Definitely coming back for my fillings!"
"Recently had a dental exam with Dr. Sung. He was very informative and definitely went out of his way to make me feel comfortable with my treatment plan. The office is very clean and the staff is wonderful. Overall, this office is amazing."
"This office is great. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Sung, he was very kind and informative. I will definitely be back for my treatments."