Dry mouth, medically termed as ‘Xerostomia’, is the condition of not having adequate saliva to keep the mouth wet. Saliva performs a crucial role in maintaining your dental health.
Dry mouth may seem like a little frustrating but could do a major damage to your teeth. It’s also painful.
- Stress, severe panic attack or depression
- Smoking or drinking
- Autoimmune disorder or Sjogren’s syndrome
- Nerve harmed from a head or neck injury
- Sleep apnea
- Specific drugs
- Diseases like Diabetes, HIV, Parkinson’s or Periodontitis
Why should you never ignore its symptoms?
- Saliva keeps your mouth clean and even battles against bacteria. It decreases the acids that cause tooth decay.So when you get a dry mouth at night, you’re creating a room for harboring bacteria inside your mouth. You’ll be asleep for hours, so for the whole night you wouldn’t even be drinking water. With a lack of saliva, your teeth slowly become exposed to cavities and bacterial infection.
- Dry mouth also gives you an everlasting bad breath.
- Insufficient saliva makes the skin in and around your mouth dry and tight. Your lips can crack. You may also develop sores at the corners of your mouth. It may be even difficult to swallow and talk.
- Dry mouth can disturb your taste buds. You may experience a metallic, salty, or other taste in your mouth. Your tongue may become rough and dry.
- The saliva also eases your digestion. It helps to break down food particles into simpler forms.You may also experience troubles with your digestive system due to a lack of saliva. Especially, when you swallow your food, you can face problems, since they are not broken down properly.
- You can get red spots in your mouth. You may also have ulcers due to dry mouth.
- The bacterial content in your mouth increases and there is a chance of dental infection. So when the food reaches your stomach, the food contains bacteria. And this can lead to food poisoning.
- The glands in front of your ears, known as parotids, may get swollen.
- Note that a dry mouth may also be a symptom of severe oral cancer.
- Dentures become painful. Dry mouth and dentures don’t go together. If your mouth is dry, the dentures can result in sores.
When Should I See My Dentist?
If your dry mouth at night is chronic or began when you started taking new medicines, then visit your dentist. Your dentist may recommend altering the dosage or switching to another drug.
You may also receive medications to improve the function of your salivary glands.
Seek immediate dental help if you have dry mouth along with other serious symptoms like- difficulty in breathing and swallowing or high fever.
- Go for regular dental checkups
- Brush and floss daily
- Use an antibacterial mouth-rinse
- Stay hydrated throughout the day
- Chew sugar-free gums to boost saliva production
- Utilize a humidifier to add additional moisture to the air
If you are suffering from dry mouth, and looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in Richmond, TX, then surely call Grand Mission Dentistry. Let your Dentist in Richmond help you with the quality dental care that you deserve!
Smiling is often considered to be one of the most precious and attractive human possessions. Everyone wants to have a smile that turns out to be the reason for someone else’s. Now, other symmetry and oral health, whiteness of the teeth is a pivotal factor behind making a smile beautiful. To achieve the smile of their dreams, people opt for professional teeth whitening sessions. If you are also interested to avail it, then it is imperative to gain detailed knowledge about the process and the cost. In this blog we have provided you with all necessary information related to teeth whitening. Hence, going through it will end all your queries and enable you to bid goodbye to confusions related to this topic.
This is to let you know that the cost of teeth whitening depends on whether you choose to get it done at a dental clinic or you prefer doing it at home.
Whitening of teeth can be done at home with the help of whitening strips. It is the cheapest way of getting the job done. But, for pretty obvious reasons, you should be aware of the fact that the end result of this method is never at par with the one you can achieve by booking an appointment at a dental clinic. The whitening strips cost around $20 to $40 per box. These boxes consist of enough strips which will be enough to treat your teeth for a span of a week or more. Another method of teeth whitening includes finding over-the-counter trays that you fill with a whitening solution and place over your teeth. The counter trays are available at around $100. Some other ways of naturally whitening your teeth at home are being mentioned below:
- Oil pulling
- Using baking soda to brush your teeth
- Adopting preventive measures to avoid stains on your teethF
- Intake of fruits and vegetables
- Use hydrogen peroxide
You should also know that the methods of teeth whitening which can be done at home are time taking and doesn’t assure an overnight result. Hence, you should never lose hope and patience.
Now let us talk about the teeth whitening at a professional dental clinic. Firstly, it is important to bring under your notice that the process is safe if it is performed by a trained professional. The average cost of getting your teeth whitened can range between $650 to $1000. The price generally varies on the basis of the amount charged by the dentist and the products used in the process. When it comes to discussing the cost of whitening your teeth, you should also count the cost of maintenance once the process is complete. None of the methods for teeth whitening are permanent and demands maintenance. Though, Not having food and drinks which can leave stain on your teeth i.e chocolates, red wines, tea etc definitely extends the results. You should also know that the whitening strips that are available at the store contain 10% of hydrogen peroxide. On the other hand the ones used by the bleaching agents can contain between 25 and 40 percent hydrogen peroxide.
We hope that you have now gained a clear idea about the cost of teeth whitening and the various methods of doing it. If you are looking to get your teeth whitened in or around Grand Mission Blvd Ste E, Richmond, TX, get in touch with Grand Mission Dentistry. We are here to provide you with the best dental care in Richmond that will fulfill all your needs. Contact us today.